Jeff Jones's Reviews > The Last Merry Go Round

The Last Merry Go Round by C.L. Charlesworth

Read 2 times. Last read June 5, 2019 to June 21, 2019.

One of the best things about my job as a professional editor and proofreader, is that I get to read books in genres that I would never otherwise consider and are quite some way outside my comfort zone. The last merry go round by C.L. Charlesworth is definitely one such book.

This is not a book that I would normally have picked up off a shelf in a book store and I am very lucky that instead this author approached me as a potential client. Had she not done so, I in all likelihood would never have read this book and would have missed out on a terrific story, though to describe it as such, seems obtuse.

Covering domestic abuse, both physical and psychological and witnessing it through the protagonist's eyes first hand, made for a very uncomfortable read and as a man I went through the full gamut of emotions including anger, disbelief and shame. Anger and shame that one human being could treat another in such a despicable and cruel way. Shame that some women feel they have to suffer this alone and are in some ways at fault and that a man could be so cruel and manipulative to the woman he professed to love.

This book was a real eye-opener for me and many times since I finished reading it I have found myself reflecting on parts of the story line.

It's hard-hitting, it's brutal and it will disturb you, but then this is a subject that needs confronting.

A highly recommended but challenging read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Merry Go Round.

Finished Reading