Kelly Furniss's Reviews > A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets

A Street Cat Named Bob by James Bowen

As a cat lover and owner of exactly the same breed of cat as Bob when my friend in my Book club told me about this book I had to read it!.
This story is about James Bowen a recovering drug addict living in sheltered accommodation in London and making small amounts of money to survive the best way he can eg.busking and selling the Big Issue.
James one day returns home to find a ginger tom cat curled up in the hallway of his sheltered accommodation. James could not resist helping the cat he named Bob. He nursed him and tried to send him on his way but Bob was having none of it and had other ideas!.
Very soon Bob and James are an inseparable duo on the streets as James works and Bob sits at his feet attracting much attention from the public. James can only just survive on the meagre amount of money he already makes so a decision to be a full time pet owner is not one he takes lightly.
Both James and Bob have troubled pasts but together they form a firm companionship and bond. Life is not easy though for them both though, they face many obstacles and struggles but they have the love of each other and manage to overcome everything thrown at them.
This whole story was amazing I could not put the book down. People do not give cats credit for how clever they are and I know from growing up with cats and having one now they are very clever!.
I could relate to the many things that Bob did that amazed James, just how your cat communicates with you in ways you know as the owner. I also learnt a lot in this book about the harsh streets, drugs, veterinary care and how nice people can be as well as horrible really.
These two where kindred spirits destined to meet each other and for doing so both of their lives have dramatically changed for the better (without giving too much away!).
A few times reading this book I was choked with emotion and tearful and many more times I smiled whilst reading and kept reading out passages out to my husband (who would roll his eyes at my enthusiasm!).
I am really sad to leave James and Bobs life now but 'Oh wait! Bob has his own twitter account now'!Lol!
If you are a animal lover and/or cat owner and you are to read one book this year- YOU HAVE TO READ THIS!.
And now from their new found stardom life can only improve financially for the duo and they wholeheartedly deserve it all enjoy James and Bob.!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Street Cat Named Bob.

April 2, 2012 – Shelved
April 24, 2012 – Started Reading
April 25, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Glad you enjoyed it Furny. It really is a great story and it's true!

Kelly Furniss Thank you so much telling me all about it Ann.
I think it will be one of my favourite reads this year.
I was really sad to finish it! :0( but happy to think that life will now be getting a lot more easier for them both now :0). It really touched my heart this book, I'm going all soppy now! Lol!.

Sarah Great review! When I'm feeling down, I reread one of my Bob books (or one of my other cat memoirs). James and Bob always make me feel better..

Kelly Furniss Thanks Sarah for your comment. It's great they make you feel that way. This is a book that has stuck in my mind.x