Dan's Reviews > Asleep

Apr 02, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: literature, read-in-2012
Read from April 02 to 07, 2012

This book is comprised of three stories, all of which seem to deal with loss. Sadly none of them connected emotionally with me. Maybe it's because I've recently read two incredible novels of loss (Threats: A Novel and A Prayer for the Dying).

Maybe it's something that's lost in translation because I never feel emotionally engaged by Japanese literature (despite often enjoying it).

My advice is to skip this one and read Yoshomoto's Kitchen instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Asleep.

04/03/2012 page 70
40.0% "So far it's alright. Nothing mind blowing."
04/06/2012 page 107
60.0% "Two stories down, one to go. I hope this last one is a good one otherwise the book is a bit of a yawner."

message 1: by Maureen (new)

Maureen first dud for you in a while, eh? i coulda told you that any banana-related book is probably suspect. :)

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dan It is, I am contemplating picking up Super Sad True Love Story again to see if i can finish it. But I wasn't feeling that one either...

And I didn't think Banana related lit could be bad, It may have over-ripened.

message 3: by Maureen (new)

Maureen bananas are my enemies. :)

maybe you should give the sad stories a break for now? as you say in your review, you've just read two that knocked you for a loop... you have a pile of those o'nans... maybe you should check out something else in his body of work?

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dan That's not a bad idea. I've been meaning to pick up O'nans Last Night at the Lobster. Maybe I'll track that down today.

I am however gearing up for a re-read of infinite jest so maybe I should just rest for a while. :)

message 5: by Maureen (last edited Apr 07, 2012 09:55AM) (new)

Maureen reading can be restful! oh! maybe a wodehouse? that is candy. and much more restful than going to the grocery store on easter weekend after the stores have been closed! wish me luck! i need to get hexter food, too. he is squawking big time.