Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror's Reviews > Little Paranoias

Little Paranoias by Sonora Taylor

It's this reader's opinion and recommendation that the best way to get to know an author is through their short stories. An anthology will provide a banquet with a variety of authors to sample--when you read a story you particularly enjoyed, you can squirrel that juicy tidbit away for a time when you're binge buying books or creating a wishlist and you can get some books that author-knowing, you've already tasted the goods and determined the worth.
An author's short story collection will provide you with an understanding of an author's range and versatility! Maybe they can write in different styles, formats, genres, POVs, etc. and you get to sample from the whole pool of talent before deciding to commit more time to a novel.
After reading LITTLE PARANOIAS by Sonora Taylor, I would gladly invest time and money in her work. This collection boasts 20 pieces ranging from poetry and flash fiction to longer short stories (which were my favorites) WEARY BONES, ALWAYS IN MY EAR and QUADRAPOCALYPSE were all a little bit longer than the rest and I enjoyed my time with them.
The flash fiction stories were like 1-2 pages long and were so much fun! I love when nothing is as it seems--you're reading along and then "BAM" the author manages to pull one over on you at the end. Some of them were just fun, evil little stories with some twisty bits or shocking conclusions like, NEVER WALK ALONE or STICK FIGURE FAMILY.
Others were slightly more dramatic and insidious like CRUST and CRANBERRY--the readers come away from these stories with a heaviness in their hearts about what some women go through as they battle stereotypes or toxic/abusive relationships or maybe even just societal pressures like, HEARTS ARE "LIKES"; even though the story goes in an extreme direction, there's a stinging element of truth to the underlying message-what are the ways social media undermines our mental health? Answer: Probably more than anyone cares to admit. The story I mentioned earlier, ALWAYS IN MY EAR, reminded me of a Black Mirror episode because it explored the dangers of technology like so many Black Mirror episodes do--where do we create any boundaries in our real life and our online personas? Is who we are in real life the same as who we portray ourselves to be on the internet? Are we only passionate about our passions because we generate buzz around us and that gives us the fulfillment, not the actual thing we're passionate about? Food for thought.
So many of Sonora's tales were like holding a mirror up-my reflection seen in these pages caused me to question things that I don't often spend enough time thinking about. And that's a sign of good art. A talented artist makes something for others to engage with and they enjoy that interaction.
In the case of LITTLE PARANOIAS, I felt like I would love spending time in a coffee shop with Sonora digesting the themes of her stories.
I recommend this book to any horror fan who enjoys the following: Female protagonists, disturbing tales of horrible people doing horrible things, psychological horrors, short fiction, flash fiction, twisty endings, clever storytelling and a variety of narratives. I'm excited to read more from Sonora Taylor.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Paranoias.

November 18, 2019 – Started Reading
November 18, 2019 – Shelved
page 23
"The first story, WEARY BONES was so good! Now I'm excited about the rest"
page 31
"I loved this series of flash fiction stories in a row. Just 1-2 pages and all with a startling scene or conclusion"
page 49
"That one would make an interesting Black Mirror episode!"
November 21, 2019 – Finished Reading