Jessica Haider's Reviews > The Unteachables

The Unteachables by Gordon Korman

bookshelves: childrens

The Unteachables is the most recent book I've read with my 9 year old son. We just wrapped it up tonight. This middle grade novel tells the story of a class of 7 "unteachable" students at Greenwich Middle School. These are seven 8th graders who for whatever reason (behavior, academic issues etc.) were deemed unteachable by other teachers...so they were all put into one class where they stay all day. This year, a veteran teacher who is REALLY looking forward to his early retirement in June is given the class out of spite by the superintendent. Mr. Kermit lost his passion for teaching after a cheating scandal and the superintendent has been holding a grudge ever since that event.

At first my son was confused by the changing perspective of characters (each chapter is told from the perspective of a different character) but that confusion faded away after a few chapters. He definitely had his favorite characters (Parker, Kiana, and Mr. Kermit) and would cheer a little anytime we got to one of their chapters. Overall, my son and I enjoyed this book and he was sad when it was over. It was an uplifting story and definitely made my son laugh out loud a bunch of times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unteachables.

November 18, 2019 – Started Reading
November 25, 2019 –
page 85
November 30, 2019 –
page 152
52.78% "My 9 yo is enjoying this and has chosen his 3 favorite characters. 😁"
December 5, 2019 – Finished Reading