Bill Wallace's Reviews > Blue Movie

Blue Movie by Terry Southern

liked it

This is a hard book to like, but I suppose that's the point. Sometimes I think we have moved into a post-satire age, because so many otherwise intelligent people take offense at things that -- to me at least -- are clearly intended as sharp-edged satire. Blue Movie challenges that notion by walking the line between the kind of smut one might find in a locker room in hell and outrageous characters who, surely, cannot be taken seriously. But the attitudes under relentless attack here are a little blurry. It's not aimed at hypocritical puritans because the sex here is hideous by most civilized standards and, by the end of the book, the excess is lethal. The point seems to be that crass exploitation and commercialized eros are dehumanizing unto death but there is also a fair amount of leering and winking, inviting the reader to join the party. It's like the worst excesses of the old National Lampoon or some of the lesser shock comics of the 80s and 90s, never really very funny at all and only marginally entertaining.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Movie.

November 18, 2019 – Started Reading