Tracy Robinson's Reviews > The Lights

The Lights by Carrie Pack

bookshelves: tbr-wishlist

3.5 rounded up to 4 on Goodreads/Amazon

I needed a short Christmas horror story to read this season, and when my friend Emily mentioned she was reading this one, I jumped right in. Holiday lights with an agenda, a diverse array of characters, and creepy kids are the three things that made me excited to pick this one up.

When the action of this novella is in full swing, it boasts great gory fun and several "creep me out" moments. I don't know what it is about kids and their ability to be some of the most disturbing villains. Perhaps it is because we, in general, think of kids as inherently innocent. The destruction of this or even the absence of it can make for some great horror fiction. Pack does a good job with this, Roger (the mc's brother) and this one little kid on the swings (eek) have some of my favorite scenes.

The only thing that held this back from a higher rating for me was what seemed like a rushed ending and some issues I had with dialogue and switching from action to just straight exposition. I felt like some of the background info was a little clunky.

Beyond those things, I had a good time reading this novella and I will look for more horror stories from Carrie Pack in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lights.

November 18, 2019 – Shelved