Anna (Bobs Her Hair)'s Reviews > Wicked as They Come

Wicked as They Come by Delilah S. Dawson

Apr 02, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: steampunk, fantasy, paranormal-romance
Recommended for: PNR fans craving something different

3.5...It's definitely creative. There's adventure, bludcreatures, and spiffy gadgets. There were many longing glances from Criminy and I wish the romance would have been stronger. Criminy's POV would have been nice. Leticia's character started out strong then there were times she felt a little flat. Still, it was an enjoyable story with a good ending.

Thinking, thinking, thinking.

***** edited for full review *****

Wicked as They Come combines sub-genres (science fiction, steampunk, and urban fantasy) in this paranormal romance. The reader travels, via magical locket, from modern day Earth to the prejudiced world of 1904 Sang. Vampires are called Bludmen; they can walk in the sun, have no aversion to garlic or wooden stakes, drink blood for sustenance, and live longer lives than the Pinkies (humans). Leticia Everett discovers she has an untapped side to her spirit. In Sang, she is bold, colorful, and exuberant yet dealing with emotional baggage. A bludman named Criminy Stain offers her unconditional love and a vivid existence if she opens her heart.

The Story
Leticia “Tish” Everett is a nurse. She cares for patients who are dying and tries to make their last days as pain free as possible. She’s also left a three-year relationship with a controlling and abusive boyfriend. Leticia will never let another man control her and smother her ability to make her own choices.

One day, Leticia goes to an estate sale, finds a fascinating locket, and steals it, which is against her nature. When she falls asleep that night she wakes up naked in the world of Sang. Criminy Stain finds her. He had sent the locket out to find the other half of his soul and she has finally arrived. Criminy knows he loves her at first sight. This is not something Tish is ready to hear. Thinking she is in a dream she experiences the world of Sang until she falls asleep again and returns to modern day.

Eventually, Tish understands she is not living a dream. The world of Sang is strange and exciting. She discovers a hidden talent, but her anxiety builds when her locket is stolen; she is trapped. Criminy and Leticia travel across Sang searching for the locket, encountering various bludcreatures, prejudice, and ill-treatment.

My Thoughts
The beginning of the story sets up a unique and absorbing world. The prejudice and parallels the treatment (past and present) of ethnic groups was fascinating. The bludpeople seemed like gypsies and a combination of ethnic minorities. The Pinkies see them as filthy and a society of Coppers (think Ku Klux Klan) want them eradicated. The men, women, and children live a segregated life within cities and towns. A registration process is beginning where they must wear a pin with the letter “b”. The alternate dimension was very gripping.

The heroine, Leticia Everett, started out strong but she slowly disintegrated as an engaging heroine. It was hard to connect with her, even though her history of abuse sets the stage for her resistance to Criminy, it didn’t make the best romance. Criminy was delegated to the side-lines shooting Leticia longing-glances, professing his devotion, and displaying his unconditional love as they pursued the locket that would take her away from him. I wanted more Criminy. As this story is told completely from the heroine’s point-of-view I didn’t get enough of him! Despite the lack of his POV he proves to be a unique hero (think Johnny Depp in a Tim Burton movie). He is brave and true to Leticia.

Overall, this was a charming story that needed more romance for me to feel the love. I do recommend this book just for you to see the world of Sang. I’m not quite sure I’ll read the next book in the series. It depends on the reviews and whether it sounds interesting enough to try this author’s work again.

Grade: C+ or 3.5 stars

*buddy read with Mary Elizabeth (DNF) and Erika (stopped read/book on hold)*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked as They Come.

April 2, 2012 – Shelved
April 6, 2012 – Started Reading
April 6, 2012 –
page 38
9.62% "This book has the strange texture of a Tim Burton movie. Only Johnny Depp could pull off Criminy. Different."
April 6, 2012 –
page 83
21.01% "What did she see in the vision of the future? She feels doomed, but I think she saw happiness. Criminy's gonna have a tough time cracking her armor."
page 162
41.01% "With my gloved hand in the crook of Criminy's arm, walking across the moor made me feel as if I'd stepped out of a Jane Austen book an Impressionist painting. But I bet even Elizabeth Bennett never punted a rabbit before,... Wicked bludbunnies! I wonder what the bludrats will look like."
page 278
70.38% "The adventure seems to be the focus of the story. Want more romance and a little more smex. Come on, Leticia! Let Criminy have his wicked way with you."
page 288
72.91% "Not smart, Leticia! Stubborn damaged woman leads to wrinkles."
page 331
83.8% "Even though an HEA is guaranteed I'm nervous about the choice Leticia will make. How do you choose between a dying grandmother and the man who loves you? The seems fairly easy but how would she cope with feeling she abandoned her grandmother?"
page 395
100.0% "A different ending that remains true to the character."
April 7, 2012 – Finished Reading

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) I bought it today. Not sure when I'll start. How 'bout you?

message 2: by Erika (last edited Apr 04, 2012 04:48PM) (new) - added it

Erika Let's read it together! ;p
Btw Anna, you should check out in what shelf of Mary does it belongs.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Looked at your shelf ME and I see what you mean about the blurb. It's liberally embellished with whimsical adjectives.

Btw, a buddy read would be fun! Let me know when you're ready! ;o)

message 4: by Erika (new) - added it

Erika Wookay.. I'll be ready after I finish with About Last Night and the last book of Princes Trilogy.

Mary are you in? come on girl...

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Alright! Let's set a start time. Does Sunday work or Monday work?

message 6: by Erika (last edited Apr 05, 2012 11:26AM) (new) - added it

Erika Anna we should consider our time zones. I'm 13 hours ahead of you, 7 hours ahead of Mary. I'm cool with reading all night long as long as it's this friday or saturday night.

Mary, don't worry girl. Promise. Chocolate with/without a dude, you'll have it.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) @Erika...I can switch to either days.

@ME...I'll promise you some chocolate. Big baby. ;o)~

message 8: by Erika (new) - added it

Erika Forget about time zones, let's do it soon [image error] I'm almost finish with About Last Night. I've to finish my Princes Trilogy challenge first, on to the last book. Since today is a holiday so I think I might be able to finish it by tomorrow. Then we can start this :D

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Erika...will start tomorrow :o)

Mary Elizabeth...Mwah ha ha hahahaha haaaaaa

message 10: by Erika (new) - added it

Erika Yay you've finished it! [image error][image error][image error][image error][image error][image error]
I'm still trying to like Letitia, LOL..

message 11: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Huh, I get scary kitties and she gets cheering kitties? *Pout*

message 12: by Erika (new) - added it

Erika Which means you must learn something from Anna [image error]

message 13: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith *sniff, sniff*
Annaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, help me, she's being mean to me!

message 14: by Erika (last edited Apr 08, 2012 02:54AM) (new) - added it

Erika Mimi...

message 15: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Huh? You mean you ere joking? Forgiven, forgotten! Now we can find other things to bicker about. *phew* What a relief! :D

message 16: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Or you actually mean I wasn't adopted. Umm, I know, thanks for the info anyway!

message 17: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla Nice review Anna!

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) @Erika and Mimi...Tsk tsk tsk. And, Mimi. Of course you're not adopted.

message 19: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith LOL, Anna, that's why i have this fear of heights! One mystery solved. And you can be the referee always!

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) @Karla - I'm going to write a review for this but I'm having a hard time coming up with the words to express my feelings for Leticia. Saying her character was flat doesn't feel right. Her issues are laid out at the beginning yet I would become disconnected from her character from time to time. Plus, her constant "giggling" got on my nerves after a while.

There are good things about this book that others have expressed in their reviews. Anyway, I found the romance lacking in this novel. I'm not feeling anxious for the next book. Didn't fall in love with it. : /

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) @Mimi...Don't worry! You're parents caught you but you were a little traumatized so some people at the hospital helped you deal with it.

message 22: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla Anna wrote: "@Karla - I'm going to write a review for this but I'm having a hard time coming up with the words to express my feelings for Leticia. Saying her character was flat doesn't feel right. Her issues ..."

I look forward to reading the full review, no matter how long or short. You always express yourself in a way that everyone can understand.

Have a wonderful Easter with the hubbie and the kiddies!

message 23: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi Smith Anna wrote: "@Mimi...Don't worry! You're parents caught you but you were a little traumatized so some people at the hospital helped you deal with it.

LOL, no wonder I don't drink. Oh, all the things I'm learning about myself today!

Right, I forgot, Happy Easter! I'm Orthodox, so it's next week for me, so...

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Thanks, Karla! I hope you have a Happy Easter with your family. Hopefully, your son is in town. Don't eat to many chocolate bunnies or marshmallow chickees! LOL

message 25: by Baba (new)

Baba  Nice review, Anna!

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Thanks, Baba! I'm working on the full review now. ;o)

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) @Mimi...LOL and thank you!

message 28: by Baba (new)

Baba  Anna wrote: "Thanks, Baba! I'm working on the full review now. ;o)"

LOL You do that, Anna! I have to do the same with my latest read. :-)

message 29: by Erika (new) - added it

Erika Ladiesssss Happy Easter! *muaccch*

Anna, you're getting pro with the gift banter :D I agree with you about Leticia. I feel somehow disconnected. I think her internal monologues don't fit with her actions, it happens too often, imo.

Mimi baby, sadly, the pic was a joke. My previous comment was not.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Okay, my full review is up. I may have put it up too fast and I'm sure I'll kick myself for leaving someting out. Ah, well.

@Erika...What is "gift banter"? Is it adding gifs/pics, which I'm pretty slow at putting up. It takes a long time to search through Photobucket. I need to figure something out, maybe save pictures to my account. Work work work! LOL

message 31: by Erika (new) - added it

Erika Oops sorry Anna, I typed it wrong. Yeah I meant joking with gifs. Nothing's slow with you, the problem is on me cuz English isn't native language, pardon mind my made-up words and grammar use ;p

message 32: by Erika (last edited Apr 08, 2012 10:12AM) (new) - added it

Erika Btw Anna, Mary is in rage

message 33: by Erika (new) - added it

Erika Great review Anna. With the theme it has, this book could have been better.

message 34: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Great review, Anna! Not my cuppa but I can see some readers liking this book.

Happy Easter!

message 35: by Anna (Bobs Her Hair) (last edited Apr 08, 2012 10:20AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Thanks, Kristen! Happy Easter to you too! :o)

Thanks, Erika!
So, Mary's in a rage. Uh, oh!

Sounds like she needs chocolate.

message 36: by Erika (new) - added it

Erika Totally. I just gave another to her minutes ago...

message 37: by new_user (new)

new_user Great point about the ethnicities, prejudices, etc., Anna! That sounds interesting.

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) @new_user - Sang society correlates to racism/discrimination here, which you may find interesting. Mary Elizabeth has pointed out that the narrative is weak, which I agree with. Yet, the world-building is fascinating, creating potential for future stories by this author.

message 39: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill I loved this one a bit more than you, Anna. But I do agree for me if there was a weakness it was the romance. However that didn't detract enough from the brilliant story.