Tyson Adams's Reviews > Summon the Keeper

Summon the Keeper by Tanya Huff

You can check-in, but you may never leave.

Claire Hansen is a Keeper drawn to the run-down Elysian Fields Guest House. When she arrives, the owner forges her signature on the deeds and does a runner, leaving her in charge of one employee, one permanent guest, one ghost, and one gateway to hell. With the help of her cat, Austin, she might be able to figure out how to close the gateway. Or she might be stuck there forever.

For our wedding anniversary, we went shopping at a specialist sci-fi and fantasy bookstore. My purchase was the Keeper Chronicles. Yeah, we know how to celebrate. We're kinky. I wasn't sure what to expect from Tanya Huff, but I was promised a fun story with humour. I think it is fair to say Summon the Keeper delivered on that promise.

The book meanders along, introducing characters, having those characters banter with one another, introducing a few random elements, and generally giving you the feeling that you're just reading a series of scenes. Then Huff ties everything together in an exciting and fast-paced finale that almost blindsides you. I think that feeling of meandering through the bulk of the story is the only reason I'm not diving straight into the next instalment in the series.

Overall, I enjoyed this paranormal - or is that urban fantasy - novel and will be reading the rest of the Keeper Chronicles in the coming months.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summon the Keeper.

November 18, 2019 – Started Reading