Kathryn Hoss's Reviews > Grease Bats

Grease Bats by Archie Bongiovanni

bookshelves: gender-identity, graphic-novels, ownvoices, queer-identity

Tag yourself-- I'm a Scout Sun / Ari Moon / Taylor Rising.

This graphic novel truly is a spiritual successor to Dykes to Watch Out For. We follow long-haired butch Scout and her nonbinary roommate Andy through friendship, breakups, and too much booze. This book contains genderfeels galore, neurotic rants for days, and queer comradery for a new generation.

I have never seen my gender presentation reflected in a character as much as I see it in Scout, and I think many varieties of queer folk will be able to see themselves in this book.

The one criticism I might have is the lack of continuity. Maybe because of the periodic nature of the strip's original publishing on Autostraddle, there is no central story arc and little character growth. I would've liked more narrative depth beneath these amazing and relatable characters. However, I think Grease Bats is well worth reading and may even become historically Important for its funny and real depiction of millennial queers.

I recieved a temporary digital copy of this book in return for an honest review. #GreaseBats #Netgalley
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grease Bats.

November 18, 2019 – Started Reading