Dave's Reviews > The Cross and the Switchblade

The Cross and the Switchblade by David Wilkerson

611927
Aug 19, 2008

liked it

When I was in college, I had a class on urbanization where we broke up into small groups. Each group was then assigned an inner-city neighborhood in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. My group was assigned the Powderhorn/Central neighborhoods of Minneapolis, and we spent the next few weeks getting to know the area. (On the first day we saw the cops chase down a teenager on foot)

One of the stops we made was to a church that was home to a local TeenChallenge ministry, so we sat in on one of their daily worship services. We were surrounded by a ton of local youth, guys on one side of the room, gals on the other. It was quite the experience to see the service get going and watch these folks with such rough backgrounds become filled with the Holy Spirit.

This is the experience that David Wilkerson talks about in his book, The Cross and The Switchblade. He talks about his initial calling to the streets of New York City in the early 60's, and the ministry he started that targeted troubled youth, often heavily involved in gangs and drugs. There is a heavy reliance on the power of the Holy Spirit, which they discover has amazing power to overcome often deadly addictions such as heroin.

If there's one thing I'm left with after reading this book, it's an amazing sense of boldness on the part of Wilkerson and those around him. For a random small town pastor to go to the streets of NYC on a whim and risk his life for thugs and killers is an incredible testament of boldness through Christ and the Holy Spirit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cross and the Switchblade.

August 19, 2008 – Shelved
Started Reading
September 11, 2008 – Finished Reading

Brandon Duncan CHRIST cares for even the most vicious and ruthless, I was in prison and He came... David Wilkerson was a man of God on fire for JESUS and reaching the lost- thanks for this comment.

message 2: by Musaazi (new)

Musaazi Moses Stephen I saw the movie. I just wish people of all walks of life just viewed it. So emotional, carries lots of meanings. One of my best