Lindsey's Reviews > Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict

Aug 19, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: meh
Read in August, 2008

** spoiler alert ** Good heavens, I had such high hopes for this book. It sounds like a really cool premise, but it seems as though the author only thought about it as far as coming up with the basic idea. This is a lot coming from me because I so seldom dislike books to this extent. I'm usually very forgiving, but I just couldn't overcome the massive problems.

First, I don't like that the book just plunges in before we have a chance to know the person she used to be. How can we really have any empathy for someone in this incredible situation if we don't know anything about them?

I'm also not a huge fan of it's incredibly abrupt ending. It resolves very little and gives the impression that the author was suddenly just tired of her own story and quit.

My biggest problem runs all the way through. The main character is supposedly addicted to Jane Austin. How is it then, that she is so surprised at how women are treated during this time period? She's surprised that the word "okay" isn't understood! She accosts Jane Austen in the streets and acts like a crazy person for no apparent reason!

The way I describe it is that this book is very like a terrible movie. It's entertaining just because it is so bad. Honestly though, I cannot recommend this book to anybody.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict.