Chad Sayban's Reviews > Dremiks

Dremiks by Cassandra Davis

Apr 02, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: below-expectations, early-review-book, own, home-library
Read from August 16 to 22, 2012 — I own a copy

In the not-so-distant future, a race of aliens has offered Earth a deal – The Dremikians will provide humans with their advanced technology if humanity agrees to save their doomed home planet of Dremiks from destruction. What the crew of the Hudson – Earth’s first intergalactic starship – don’t realize is that there are a those who don’t want them to succeed, or even reach Dremiks. Captain Hill, Commander O’Connell and the rest of the crew will have to confront deception, sabotage, political wrangling and the crew’s general distaste for each other if they want any hope of succeeding in their mission – as well as coming home alive.

I have always been a fan of science fiction, so when I saw the introduction for Dremiks, I was intrigued. However, while the premise of the story grabbed my interest, the execution left me disappointed. Surprisingly, my troubles were not with suspension of disbelief or too much technology. In fact, one of my biggest problems was there wasn’t nearly enough description of the universe we had jumped into. While too much backstory can be boring, there was so little in Dremiks that it was difficult to really become absorbed into what was happening in the entire first half of the book. It took a long time for the story to become anything more exciting than a NASA mission report. Instead, Davis spends most of her time detailing the dysfunctional relationships between the crew members – in painstaking detail, including every thought, mannerism and facial expression of each character during every conversation. The first 250 pages was an absolute trudge.

The pace abruptly turned up in the last 100 pages. In fact Davis turned it up so much that a lot of things happened without any explanation or relevance to what came before or after. I won’t play spoiler, but there are new characters introduced late in the story that seem like a quick fix for a plot that had been written into a corner and couldn’t find its way out. A lot of things just didn’t add up in the end and I found myself not caring about any of the characters. Worse, the plot became so disjointed from the changes in pace that it felt like whole chapters had been cut from the second half that might have shed some light on what was going on and offered up a more fulfilling conclusion. This is a case of more really would have been better. Instead, the ending seemed rushed and nonsensical.

Touted as a science fiction mystery, Dremiks failed to produce any buildup of tension. There are a great many things left open-ended at the conclusion of Dremiks, presumably for a continuation of the story. However, I really have no interest in discovering what happens next. Reading a sequel is not in the cards for me.

I received my copy of Dremiks through the Goodreads Early Reviewer Program.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dremiks.

08/16/2012 page 12