Princess Pepperdoodle's Reviews > The Queen's Man

The Queen's Man by Sharon Kay Penman

U 50x66
Apr 02, 2012

liked it

I just finished this book. It's the first of Penman's I've read. It's not bad. I didn't figure it out before the end, which is always a plus for a mystery (it "won"). But I doubt I'll run out and hunt for her other novels. It was recommended to me because I like Candice Robb's historical mysteries... Penman's not as good as Robb. Although it wasn't a bad read, wasn't as good at putting you into her "world". Anachronisms in the charactor's speech and in descriptions occationally broke the illusion for me. Another thing was that she isn't as good at weaving background information into the story, so you sometimes find yourself reading a couple paragraphs of background cultural information before getting back to the story.

Oh, and she used the name "Fitz Alan" for two appearently unrelated charactors!--I kept waiting for the link between the two, or the reveal that they were the same person. She never even had her main charactor acknowledge that he'd noticed, so it's possible SHE didn't reolize she'd done that, which if that's the case that's just sloppy.

There are also a few times when things like descriptions of people are just too vague, too abbreviated, to be realistic that the person it's being given to would find it useful, but they still "magically" (via author, of course) recognise the person being discribed (weeks previously)--and that's something that could have been just so easily fixed!

Basically, it wasn't a bad book, but it wasn't a great book either.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen's Man.