Shayna Gier's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Apr 02, 2012

Read in April, 2012

What I Loved

Four. Tobias. Whatever you want to call him. Honestly, while I did enjoy following Tris/Beatrice, Tobias/Four was my favorite character by far. Probably this is assisted by the stark contrast to the other lead faction trainer Eric, but either way from the first time Four came on the scene I was just waiting for his next appearance.

The writing in Divergent is so potent and image-heavy, which I really liked. Of course I usually do love dystopian plots, and Divergent is no different.
What I Didn't Like:

I was confused by Tris/Beatrice's commentary on Four/Tobias. I thought he seemed like a fair, if not a bit strict, leader who knew his job was to take kids that grew up with different sets of beliefs and rules and transform them into decent upstanding members of their new faction- which would indeed be a daunting task. Tris, however, seemed to overreact to his strictness, or even vilify him, which confused me greatly as I liked him from the first time we met him, especially when the page before she was talking about how protective he is and how safe she feels with him. The other leader, on the other hand, was definitely just bad, and Tris did say as much.
My Overall Review

(5 of 5 Stars) I'm just waiting for Insurgent now

I was really excited to read this book. So excited, in fact, that I pushed back tour books and squeezed it in with allowing myself just 24 hours in which to read it before I had to switch back to tour reading. And I did it! Actually, this wasn't a bad way to read it as I don't know where I would have been able to happily put the book down anyways.

When I looked at other people's reviews on Divergent and saw 5 stars everywhere, I knew I had to get ahold of this book. And through a stroke of luck, I won it! Even if others had rated it low, I would have read it because it's a dystopian, and as soon as I'd read the premise behind the book I was hooked.

Veronica Roth doesn't leave a boring moment in the narrative, and I even found the erudite life fascinating- despite the fact that it would drive me nuts if I had to grow up there. I loved all the descriptions of the train jumping and other adventures. Veronica Roth does a wonderful job conveying these thrill-seeking moments so that even as a reader I was left breathless at the end of the scene. I most definitely will be reading Insurgent as soon as I can get my hands on it.
Disclaimer:

I won this book in a online raffle. I was not asked to provide my opinion, I just did. All thoughts and feelings are my own and I've received no compensation for writing them.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

05/28/2016 marked as: read