Katie's Reviews > Before

Apr 02, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, short-story
Read on April 02, 2012

The description is intriguing, that this story is a prequel to what happens once Heven's (yes, that's her name) life changes in a big way.

This short story is told in alternating points of view, Heven being one, and the other is Sam, a boy who is seemingly obsessed with Heven.

Heven's a high school cheerleader, blonde and ditzy. I'm not sure what Sam sees in her because she reads like the type of girl who is a dime a dozen, but maybe she has a secret--at least I'm hoping she has one that will be revealed in the full-length novel.

Sam does dirty work for someone he describes as monster, and refers to as "it". That definitely catches my interest. Is the monster a demon? Is it a person? Again, I'm sure we'll find out in the novel.

These two characters haven't met in this story, but instead Sam spends his time stalking Heven. Following her around in the dark, waiting for her, looking for her in the usual places she likes to go...

This one fell a bit flat for me, really. I understand that this is a prequel but I think more could have been done with the story anyway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before.