Becky Spratford's Reviews > Good Talk: A Memoir in Conversations

Good Talk by Mira Jacob

Three Words That Describe This Book: thought provoking, reflective, candid

If I had to pick THE BEST book I read all year, GOOD TALK is it. The plot summary tells you what it is about, but it is in the reading that this book rises above. Jacob manages to convey her complicated personal story with her struggles to raise a bi-racial son in the Trump era. She is honest and unflinching, telling it like it is; however, it is also an engaging narrative. You follow her story. her family history, her marriage, her career, and of course her son.

It is the son and his questions that frame the entire book. As she tries to answer him, she must reexamine everything about her own life but also the world around her. It is a masterpiece that seems effortless. It tackles questions old and new, universal and very particular to our current time. It is thought provoking and entertaining at the same time and consistently throughout. It is happy and sad and fun y and serious. It is representative of life itself-- unclassifiable and extremely varied.

The art is not only drawings. There are some photographs and even the drawings are cur out and pasted on top of backgrounds. Visually, the book is most life a scrap book which make sense since it is a memoir, and a highly personal one at that. The way the images are put together, enhances the overall feel of the story.

Readlaikes: An obvious readalike is BETWEEN THE WORLD AND ME by Ta-Nehisi Coates. That is a prose book but in the form of a letter from a black man to his 14 year-old son. A newer title I would also suggest HOW WE FIGHT FOR OUR LIVES by Saeed Jones. Like Jacob, he just unflinching and honest about terrible things and also a great storyteller.

Other graphic memories that tackle difficult issues of families and identity well include CAN WE TALK ABOUT SOMETHING MORE PLEASANT? by Chast, or FUN HOME by Bechdel or I WAS THEIR AMERICAN DREAM Malaka Gharib

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Talk.

November 17, 2019 – Started Reading