Dana Linde's Reviews > Mycroft and Sherlock: The Empty Birdcage

Mycroft and Sherlock by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

What a pleasant surprise. I was not expecting Holmesian mystery from an NBA legend, but as a lover of the genre, I couldn't resist. I found the focus on Mycroft to be a nice addition as he so often plays a supporting role in Holmes' mysteries. In this book, he seemed to take the main stage, and learning about him and the family indirectly, helps the reader better understand Sherlock. I felt the authors did a great job with historical features and dialog of the period as well as making the dialog for both Mycroft and Sherlock appropriate to their characters. I was saddened to not see the expected "elementary" from Sherlock's lips, however. Perhaps that doesn't emerge until Sherlock becomes a full-fledged detective. The plot was engaging, but I felt Sherlock's story less so. Once he discovered the thorn, predictions were fairly easy to compose. Furthermore, I know exposition and rising action comprise the majority of a book, but I would have loved a bit more development of the climactic meeting with the killer. Still, it was a pleasant read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mycroft and Sherlock.

November 17, 2019 – Started Reading