Sdluvingit's Reviews > The Technologists

The Technologists by Matthew Pearl

M 50x66
Apr 02, 2012

Read from April 01 to 04, 2012

I think I've found a new author to add to my favorite list, Matthew Pearl. I started with his most recent, The Technologists, requiring now, that I read all the rest. Set in Boston in 1868, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology is set to graduate its first class. The first school of its kind, devoted to science and technology, the Institute has not received the most favorable view from the population. Science and technology and their emergence as a major force are clashing with tradition, class distinction, labor unions, religion, and some fear and trepidation among the general population. There are a sequence of mysterious, almost magical, disasters that strike at the heart of Boston's commercial systems spreading chaos and fear. Three of the graduating students and the one woman attending the Institute take it upon themselves to try and solve the mysteries and prove the worth of the Institute. This is an exciting mystery set in an interesting time and place and the writing moves you through the story and accompanying environs at a good pace. I love historical mysteries and this reminds me of another favorite, Caleb Carr's The Alienist.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Technologists.