Russell Atkinson's Reviews > Prisoners of Geography: Ten Maps That Tell You Everything You Need to Know About Global Politics

Prisoners of Geography by Tim Marshall
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
12975428
's review

liked it
Read 2 times. Last read November 15, 2019.

This textbook has positioned itself as a mainstream general audience book. The content is much the same as you would find in any history or geography course. There are many factoids, i.e. nuggets of information about geography or history I didn't know, and most of those were interesting to some extent, but overall about 80% of the content is stuff almost everybody knows (although too many don't). Facts like: Russia is huge and cold; China and India don't like each other but are protected from each other by the Himalayas; the United States is fortunate to be in a temperate climate zone and have access to both major oceans. Once it departs from pure geography, it deteriorates into what always turned me off about history class - it becomes the author's own opinion about history and why countries, either populations or governments, do what they do. The 80% you already knows drags and the other 20% irritates. It's also a bit of a bait and switch. I thought from the subtitle it would show some interesting maps, but it's almost all text with a few rather small, simple maps.
flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prisoners of Geography.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

Finished Reading
Started Reading
November 15, 2019 – Finished Reading
November 16, 2019 – Shelved

No comments have been added yet.