Tracy Robinson's Reviews > Invisible Chains

Invisible Chains by Michelle Renee Lane

liked it

As noted in the synopsis, this is a slice of historical fiction which follows the life of a young girl as she navigates the world as a slave in antebellum New Orleans. Mix in supernatural characters, blood magic, and so many trials and tribulations, and you have this horror/dark fantasy story.

This was such a good introduction to Lane’s writing. For the most part I was engaged and invested in finding out where this story would take the MC, Jacqueline. I loved cheering for her and lamenting the awful conditions and unfair situations she encountered. CW for rape and abuse for anyone who may need it. There are several scenes throughout the book that are, necessarily so, difficult to read.

I found myself wanting more in certain sections. There are jumps in the action which cut out scenes I would have loved to experience first hand. I get why they aren’t there, to perhaps keep the focus on a different narrative, but I missed them all the same.

Will I read another book or short fiction by Lane? Absolutely. And if historical, southern, horror-ish fiction is your jam, you’ll love this. Thank you to the author for providing me with a copy for review consideration.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Invisible Chains.

November 16, 2019 – Started Reading