orangerful's Reviews > Pet

Pet by Akwaeke Emezi

bookshelves: youngadult, weird, ya_with_adult_appeal, fantasy, family, strong_female_lead, trans-fiction

I think I liked this book? I'm going to say that it would be 3.5 stars.

I liked the *idea* of the book, but sometimes I found the world building and character names to be distracting? For example, the main character is named "Jam" and the creature is called "Pet" and I'll be darned if my brain kept changing it to either "James" or "jam" like "in a jam" and getting confused. Same with "Pet" turning into "Pete". Jam's mother also spoke in a dialect that kept throwing me off too. I realize this is more my hang up than the books.

But I really liked the idea of the angels, monsters, and hunters. I think the book actually could have been a bit longer, though I guess it works in the sense that you are seeing everything from Jam's point of view so of course she doesn't know the history of everything. You know what she has been told growing up and have to take that as the whole story. But I wouldn't mind going back and getting Bitter's story.

If you like YA fantasy that has a very unique style, this is a quick read with lots of interesting ideas.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pet.

November 15, 2019 – Started Reading