Rachael's Reviews > Before Midnight: A Retelling of Cinderella

liked it
bookshelves: 2012, romance, reviewed
Read on May 17, 2012

3 - 3.5 Stars

Having read countless Cinderella retellings, I didn't really know what I was expecting with this one. The nameof the child (La Cendrellion) is certainly very beautiful. The concept of having a brother was also new. But aside from that, was there really anything different?

Apparently so.

The emphasis is really on the before in the title, Before Midnight. Over half of the book is about what happened before the ball (which, by the way, is only two pages long). The book mainly tells the story of Cendrellion's relationships with Raoul, Amelie and Anastasia (the stepsisters), Niccolo, and the stepmother. So in that aspect, it was unique.

Other than that aspect, the book was short and sweet, like the rest of the series. Sweet love, strong heroine, happily-ever-after, yada yada yada.

And of course, many of the problems I had were with the fact that every problem is always simple to solve, the underdevelopment of characters, and true love/love at first sight always wins in the end. But I've probably gotten so used to that due to the fact I read so many of these books. The only other problem was that we met Pascal, the prince about three quarters into the book, and he had a total of ten or twenty pages of storytime. Again, underdeveloped much?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before Midnight.

05/17/2012 page 166