Pamela Hubbard's Reviews > The Silent Land

The Silent Land by Graham Joyce

Zoe and Jake, a young couple on a ski trip to the Pyrenes, get caught in an avalance and survive. When they enter the ski town, they realize they are the only ones there. Their hotel is deserted and they cannot reach anyone on the phone. They spend the next few days trying to get out of the town but always end up back there. Strange things happen, such as candles not burning down and food not rotting. The characters deal with what is happening and try to analyze their lives as they grow closer together and fall more and more in love.
Wow! What a book! From the moment I started reading I was riveted. The world that they author created was creepy yet believable and I felt like I lived through the emotions of the characters. They dealt with some intense issues such as death and regret and grew as characters. The story was sad yet joyful and had twists that I did not expect. The only parts I struggled to get through were certain moments of introspection by each of the characters since they tended to have a rambling quality.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silent Land.

April 1, 2012 – Started Reading