Christina (Ensconced in Lit)'s Reviews > Pretty Amy

Pretty Amy by Lisa Burstein

This book came highly recommended so I decided to give it a try.

Pretty Amy is a coming of age YA novel about Amy, a graduating senior who is hanging out with the wrong crowd~ beautiful Lila and trash talking Cassie. Amy finally feels like she fits in, but during a fateful prom night her life changes forever, and she has to finally grow up.

This novel is well written and while Amy is hard to like sometimes because of her bitterness, anger and frustration, we somehow get the sense she'll turn around at the end. I loved her parrot AJ and liked Conner.

The difficulty with novels such as this is that this is material we've all seen before. Teenage angst and a troublemaker who eventually sees the light through tough love. And there are some romance issues in the background. I recently sat in on a group of child psychiatrists who were talking about words they used to describe teenagers. These descriptives included overconfident, hormonal, defiant, experimental---all which were shown in this novel to the tee. The difficulty is going beyond the expected. I immediately compared this novel to Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver which remains one of my favorite novels. These two novels have a very similar beginning-- but the books are vastly different in the way the material was handled. Unfortunately, while this book has many strong points, it does little to get out of the stereotype. However, the voice is what is unique and gripping, and that is what carries the reader to stay until the end.

That said, this is a strong first novel. While there were no surprises, it was well written and flowed nicely with good characterization.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pretty Amy.

April 1, 2012 – Shelved
April 27, 2012 – Started Reading
April 27, 2012 –
page 3
April 27, 2012 –
page 107
April 27, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Heather Hi there,

I apologize if you've already reviewed this title on Amazon, but if you haven't, can you please go on there and post your review on there as well?

Thanks so much for all that you do!

~ Heather Riccio, Senior Publicist

Christina (Ensconced in Lit) Heather wrote: "Hi there,

Hi Heather!
I have published it on Amazon a while ago(I think I'm the top review actually)-- and I hosted a giveaway and interview on my blog for Lisa Burstein :-)
Christina

Heather Great! Just double checking with all bloggers and reviewers to make sure it's posted on Amazon as well. :)