Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)'s Reviews > The Bookish Life of Nina Hill

The Bookish Life of Nina Hill by Abbi Waxman

Initial Impressiosn 11/15/19: 3 - 3.5

I didn’t really love this one, sadly, mostly because of the characters and a little bit because of the writing.

I really didn’t like Nina much at all, which was surprising seeing how much we had in common. I think I found it hard to read about her since she was so stiff and inflexible in her plans. I understand that it helped her anxiety to have hey day fully planned out but I just knew it would lead to self-sabotaging which I don’t love as a plot device in general. Not to say it was unrealistic because it very much was something that happens but I just didn’t care for the way it was written and how it all played out. Nina just felt a little too closed off to me and her character felt a little too surface-level at times, as did all the characters for me.

I thought it was weird that we got random bits of Tom’s POV (they’re all told through the third person, but still weird to be thrown in there quickly and randomly) and we barely got to know him. I didn’t get to know his personality much at all and he kind of just seemed like this Prince Charming instead of having a good dialogue with Nina and getting to be a part of her life.

The family story was great and was a lot of fun, actually. I liked that it forced Nina out of her shell and she actually got to know some pretty cool people as well as find a family.

The pop culture references were fantastic and I loved the trivia aspect of the book too. I just wish I enjoyed the characters and relationships. It would have been a hit if I had.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bookish Life of Nina Hill.

July 3, 2019 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
July 3, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
November 15, 2019 – Started Reading
November 15, 2019 – Shelved
November 15, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
November 15, 2019 – Shelved as: adult
November 15, 2019 – Shelved as: audiobook
November 15, 2019 – Shelved as: contemp-realistic-adult
November 15, 2019 –
page 33
9.38% "I.... don't like Nina."
November 15, 2019 –