Samantha's Reviews > Six Wakes

Six Wakes by Mur Lafferty

A closed room mystery in space, far-future setting with clones. I quite enjoyed the mystery aspect. It felt like something Agatha Christie might have written, if she wrote in sci-fi settings but without the famous detective at the center. Instead we have a group of six people/clones who wake up to find their own dead bodies and work to solve what happened to them.

The story was told over the shoulder of different characters at different times, with a general narrative in the here and now and a deeper dive into the various characters when we learned of their pasts. Other reviews have complained about that, but I rather enjoyed it, and the way new insights made you reinterpret what you had already read presented another way, and shift your guesses about who could and could not be trusted.

There's a philosophical based underlying the entire work, an exploration of what it means to be human in the face of new technologies and ostensible immortality. It's never heavy handed or moralistic, but quietly gives you a lot to think about. Overall, quite good!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Six Wakes.

November 15, 2019 – Started Reading