Renee's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

2012116
Apr 01, 2012

Read from April 01 to May 13, 2012

I expected to hate this book. I was prepared to put it down before I was through the first half. Why? Because anything that gets a lot of hype tends to prove disappointing. I was wrong. What an amazing beginning to this series, and I hate series that use cliffhangers. I really do. Somehow, I don't care that Martin left me hanging. Maybe it's because he tied up a lot of the loose ends while introducing the unresolved conflicts, I don't know.

The writing is flawless, relaxed and easy to slip into. His ability to carry the reader off into a place she's never been is admirable. I'm making notes on his mad setting skills. Maybe I'll learn something that boosts my atrocious setting.

I'll admit, though, that sometimes I wondered where he was going with a rambly passage or two, but I suspect these will be important later. If not, well it was a nice couple of tangents that I didn't mind taking.

Maybe I'm strange, but I really like Jamie Lannister. Sure he's evil and he's *SPOILER* banging his own sister, but there's something darkly appealing about him. I think Jon, Robb, Tyrion, Arya, and Jaime are my favorite characters, and there are many. Perhaps Little Finger and Varys...my spelling of the names is horrible, isn't it?

Anyway, this is fantasy, but with a good dose of chilling realism. I recommend giving this series a go, even if you're not a fan of either theme.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

05/13/2012
05/26/2016 marked as: read

Dustin Hi, Renee-

Very nice review. Thank you.

Renee You're welcome Dustin. Have you read these yet?