Grandmother's Wisdom's Reviews > Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

bookshelves: biography, historical

This is one of the most fascinating biography books; I have ever read. Written like a fiction novel, it relates the story of Louis Zamperini, a former Olympic Track star who survives World War II as a hero.

Zamperini possesses an unique spirit and grit that allows him to survive his plane being shot down over the Pacific, 47 days adrift on a raft with two companions, and the internment in notorious Japanese POW camps. His quick mind and nimble body suffer untold horrors throughout his ordeals. Especially when Louie meets up with an evil Japanese jailor named “The Bird”.

Hillenbrand, the author, has extensively researched and interviewed Zamperini’s life. The book includes many photos, that have been saved by the Zamperini family and many illustrious stories of Louie. Laura Hillenbrand interviewed Louie 75 times and retells his life in a positive and descriptive story-like fashion.

You do not need to be a World War II buff to enjoy this amazing story of heroism, America, and survival. Read this book today!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbroken.

Finished Reading
April 1, 2012 – Shelved
April 9, 2012 – Shelved as: biography
May 15, 2012 – Shelved as: historical

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Diane Supinski Jamie, I read this book over a weekend sometime last year. Being a fan of both fiction and non-fiction, I was still very surprised by how quickly I went through the story. Laura Hillenbrand is a talented writer, it's just a shame she writes one book every 10 years.

Grandmother's Wisdom Diane wrote: "Jamie, I read this book over a weekend sometime last year. Being a fan of both fiction and non-fiction, I was still very surprised by how quickly I went through the story. Laura Hillenbrand is a ..."

It was an easy read. I think Hillenbrand does so much research for her books that it takes years to complete one. This is the only book of hers I have read, I know she also wrote Seabiscuit. I will have to read that one day. :)