Lou's Reviews > A Minute to Midnight

A Minute to Midnight by David Baldacci

45941903

A Minute to Midnight is the second book in the FBI Agent Atlee Pine series, and this time the crime she's investigating hits a little too close to home. Although it's certainly preferable to have read the preceding book before delving into this one it isn't essential as Atlee's history and plenty of background is given. Atlee returns to the town of Andersonville, Georgia, which holds traumatic memories for her as it is where, when she was only six years old, she was brutally attacked and left for dead by a ruthless criminal who abducted her twin sister Mercy who has never been seen again. In the hope of finding something that was missed at the crime scene three decades earlier, she returns to it but she isn't alone as there is a killer prowling the area. I always look forward to Baldacci's thrillers because he never fails to deliver a heart-pounding, high-octane story with all the thrills and twisty reveals to keep you feverishly turning those pages, and this book is no exception.

This is a masterclass in how to keep a reader enthralled and captivated throughout and our heroine/protagonist is a very likeable person. She gets things done and there's no messing around. She is definitely one of my favourite characters in the crime genre with her no-bull attitude and her untrusting nature reminded me of myself a little. Both investigations run concurrently and where a lesser author could make this rather befuddling there is no confusion of any kind and it is so easy to follow. It is one of those books that you race through eager to find out what will happen and reading it in anything but a single nail-biting sitting is nigh on impossible. Once again Baldacci has surpassed himself, and this series will no doubt appeal to ardent, long-term fans and those new to his novels too. Many thanks to Pan Macmillan for an ARC.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Minute to Midnight.

Finished Reading