Runa's Reviews > Scrambled Eggs at Midnight

Scrambled Eggs at Midnight by Brad Barkley

Aug 18, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I love this unique love story of these two "outcast" teens (and not even the stereotypical outcasts, which makes it even better, they're more like...Stargirl outcasts). There's nothing here I've been in a YA book before, and the uniqueness of it all is magical. Jesus fat camp boy and daughter of a Renaissance Faire wench=a perfect couple, who would have thought, right? The dialogue is great, it's both fresh and realistic, it really reminded me of Juno, without the fakeness, you know? It's actual stuff you can imagine people saying, but it's still so POWERFUL, I must have half the book dog-eared with quotes =P So many good philosophical musings from both Eliot and Cal! Love their thoughts and how authentic they feel (with that one exception of the quote implying that they are too young to be nostalgic, that was the giveaway that this wasn't actually written from the POV of teens XD) But anyways, the writing is great, the characters are amazing, it all comes together to form the perfect story.

**SPOILERS**
The ending was definitely a surprise for me, didn't see that coming at all. Very twisted, felt somewhat rushed, but still a great read. I hated that last-minute cliffhangery thing, where you're just like, oh no! She's going to leave, she's going to leave and there's probably only a chapter left and this is going to end soon, nooo! So, it's quite a relief when that doesn't happen, but at the same time, wish there'd been more time to dedicate to expanding that part of the story. Glad the Jesus Fat Camp closed down, that was just...eerie. Everything really turned out for the best, and I couldn't have wished for a better ending :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scrambled Eggs at Midnight.