Sophia's Reviews > Fever

Fever by Joan  Swan

Apr 01, 2012

bookshelves: pnr-uf

When I read the blurb on this book, I just had to get it. It sounded so exciting and, let me tell you, it was.

The story begins with, Alyssa Foster, an overworked resident at St. Jude's Hospital, called in to cover for another gal. She's tired, hungry and miffed that she must deal with her patient being a San Quentin lifer. Her day only gets worse when that lifer, Teague Creek, turns her into his hostage during his bid for freedom.

They escape with one other prisoner, Taz, who is terrifying in his behavior and barely contained violence. Freedom is achieved, but instead of releasing her, Teague bring Alyssa with them. Through the terrifying night, she is threatened by Taz with rape and brutality, she is injured when they are accosted by a gang, the authorities are always on their tail, and through it all she finds herself drawn to the secretive Teague whose actions and behavior is inexplicable.

Teague's whole life was changed by one event- the warehouse fire that he and his fellow firefighters are called in to contain. He and the others are exposed to some secret chemical that leaves them with various abilities that the government wants both to hush up and take advantage of. In the meantime, he loses his wife, his child, and eventually his freedom when he is wrongfully accused of murder. This bid for freedom is his one chance to recover the only thing he has left to care about, but little does he know that his existence has now become problematic for the government and they seek to rectify the problem. In the process, he has now discovered that surprisingly there is another that is coming to mean something to him- Alyssa Foster.

I will not reveal more of the plot because it is exciting and I would not wish to ruin it for anyone.

About that plot-
This is quite the thrill ride that just never seems to let up. The pace is pounding fast and I felt like I had an adrenaline rush right along with the characters. It switched points of view and story lines without trouble. The romance was just as heated and passion-filled as the escape.

The characters of Teague and Alyssa were wonderful creations. Other than Mitch and Luke, the others were more shadowy, but this was not detracting from the story because of the way the plot developed. I was glad to see that though there was an instant spark between Teague and Alyssa, they did not immediately act on it and I was glad that trust and love only came later so that the relationship was more realistic.

I cannot wait to read the next book. This story was quite a rush.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fever.