Kav's Reviews > Pursuit of Home

Pursuit of Home by Kristi Ann Hunter

U 50x66

Sob! It's over, isn't it? This is the last book in Kristi Ann Hunter's Haven Manor series and I think I need to bring out the bookish widow weeds and mourn the end of this series in true Regency style. Sniffle.

I listened to the audible version (yay Beverley A. Crick -- excellent narration!) and I was so reluctant to say goodbye to these characters that I made the book last a week. I'd listen to a chapter and then pause while I relived every exquisite moment and had some fun plotting what might or might not happen next. Then I'd linger with those sweet memories until I couldn't stand it any longer and listen to another chapter and do it all over again. I needed to savor every last delectable second of this spectacular series. If it really had to end (that's debatable) this was one amazing grand finale!

I've been waiting forever for Jess's story. So prickly and aloof and lethal. She intrigued me from the moment I first met her -- waaaayyyy back in A Noble Masquerade (Hawthorne House series) and then she popped up again at Haven Manor being all kinds of mysterious (which is what Jess does best.)

The romance takes center stage and Hunter takes her time developing it. From enemies to frenemies to allys to...? I love the role reversal! It works brilliantly -- with Jess the knife-wielding spy and master of disguise while Derek is an ordinary scholar (well....more like extraordinary) who is so completely absorbed in art and architecture that he becomes befuddled by simple social niceties. Women rather scare him and he finds Jess truly terrifying...and compelling.

Sqwooooeeep Alert!!! (That's squeal, swoon and eeep smooshed into one hearty, blissful sigh of readerly satisfaction.) Barbed banter, intrigue and danger and a family mystery to solve. It all builds into a frenzy of bibliophile ecstasy -- especially since Hunter includes previous book heroes in all their besotted glory. I can't even express how thrilling that was!

The most romanticalist romantical Regency romance ever!!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pursuit of Home.

February 24, 2019 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
February 24, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
Started Reading
November 13, 2019 – Shelved
November 13, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Natalia (new)

Natalia  Ramlal Wonderful review, Kav!

message 2: by Kav (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kav Natalia wrote: "Wonderful review, Kav!"

Thanks, Natalia. Such an awesome book!