Clara's Reviews > The Starless Sea

The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern

U 50x66

Read 2 times. Last read November 13, 2019 to December 4, 2019.

This is such a cosy, curl up with your cat and a cup of cocoa kind of book.

I'll start by saying I'm one of those people who loved the Night Circus. Parts of it were so well written I had to put it down and walk away for a sec because I was so overwhelmed by how good it was. Safe to say, I was HYPED about the Starless Sea.

For me, it totally delivered. Zachary is a great main character for all of the bookworms who would have been too anxious to open a magic door as a kid but who now spend their adulthood secretly hoping another one will present itself. I LOVED the in-between, at-first seemingly unrelated but actually it turns out they all matter, fairytales. As so many people have already said, this is a love letter to storytelling in all its forms. I'm not a gamer but this book made me want to be. It also made me want choose-your-own adventure stories to come back into fashion (I'm looking at you, Goosebumps).

I'm already trying to work out how long I have to wait until it's socially acceptable to re-read it (maybe a good excuse to buy it in paperback when that comes out?).

I love magic. I love pirates. I love cats. I love bees. I love stories.

This won't be for everyone (no piece of art can be universally adored) but if you're a storyteller/storylover of any kind, this book will stay in your soul.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Starless Sea.

Finished Reading (Other Hardcover Edition)
January 6, 2019 – Shelved (Other Hardcover Edition)
January 6, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Other Hardcover Edition)
November 13, 2019 – Started Reading