Jeeves Reads Romance's Reviews > Anyone But Cade

Anyone But Cade by Penelope Bloom

Laugh out loud funny with an emotional punch

Funny with plenty of heart, Anyone But Cade has Penelope Bloom’s signature humor but also more angst and seriousness than I am accustomed to from her. There’s still plenty of banter and chemistry between our couple, but there’s also a lot of residual emotion between them from their complicated past. If you’ve read the first book in the series (not necessary but helpful), then Cade no doubt made an impression on you. He is over the top funny, a little ridiculous, and a rich playboy who doesn’t take much about life seriously. So when an unexpected revelation forces him to clean up his act, he is woefully unprepared for his new responsibilities. Enlisting the help of the woman he loved and lost, Cade’s life changes in a big way.

I loved the first book in the series, so I was looking forward to Cade’s story and it didn’t disappoint. The writing is great, pairing humor with the angst that naturally comes with a second chance romance. I will openly admit that I’m not a huge fan of this trope (especially when the guy sleeps around so much during their separation), but it’s easy to see that Cade is a great guy underneath it all. He hurt Iris in high school, and she made it clear that she wanted him out of her life but neither one has been able to fully move on. Now that he’s back in town and in need of Iris’ help, they are forced to confront the feelings that still linger between them. They both have strong personalities and it was fun to read Cade’s bumpy journey into true adulthood. I’m definitely invested in the series and look forward to seeing what happens with the final brother - they each have such different personalities that the books all have their own vibe. I received a free copy via NetGalley and am voluntarily leaving a review of this romantic comedy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anyone But Cade.

Started Reading