Denise's Reviews > Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative

Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon

Apr 01, 2012

Fun read -- with practical approaches to understanding how your creative life and "real" life (i.e. that responsible stuff you do to pay the bills) can support each other, coexist, and commingle. Kleon provides actionable advice and grounded perspectives on how -- and even why -- to be an artist.

Kleon weaves all of this around one Big Idea: Nothing in the world is new. And so what?

In fact, one of my favorite bits: "If we're free from the burden of trying to be completely original, we can stop trying o make something out of nothing, and we can embrace influence instead of running away from it."

His book is, in fact, a celebration of creative influence and is a living example of how to think (and "steal") like an artist. I personally appreciate people who live their words. There's lots to learn here -- and have fun learning it. :-)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steal Like an Artist.