C.G. Drews's Reviews > One of Us Is Next

One of Us Is Next by Karen M. McManus

bookshelves: 4-star, read-2020, thriller-crime, young-adult

I am utterly basking in the feels of having just finished a good book. BASKING. I tell you! The twists in this were so clever, so intricately woven, and getting to the end and discovering how many people's lives were tangled up together -- not to mention that circular finale!!! -- just had me in full appreciation of the story. This is just [clenches fist] a very good book.

(I admit that I didn't reread book 1 first, and I should have oops. But I didn't love it? Whilst I really loved this!? And I adored Two Can Keep a Secret last year!)

[a small peek at the plot]
I do NOT want to say too much because I firmly believe thrillers are best when you know next to nothing about them. But this one involves a deadly Truth Or Dare game, but what caught me even more is how it's so interwoven with family drama and everyday teen angst, and I LOVED THAT. What hooked me was the characters, then the plot.

[characters]
We have three narrators: Phoebe, Maeve, and Knox. Each have really complex lives and they three become tightly woven together as they unravel the mystery of who's behind this life-ruining anonymous game of Truth or Dare. And YES there is murder in this book. But there's also subtle fear-mongering, horrific gossip, and dangerous secrets revealed. It took me a bit to warm up to Phoebe's chapters, but I reeeally loved Maeve!! And Knox is SO SOFT and I do love the soft boys. Also I loved that he was hounded by toxic masculinity but he didn't give up himself 😭bless Knox I love him.

The only thing that was an issue for me is: so. many. characters. Every character had a huge circle of characters in their lives, including siblings and friends. AND characters from book 1. AND just all these secondary characters, I was just !!!! BRAIN FRIED. By the end I was almost getting the hang of it (literally forgot who Jules was every time she entered the page LOL).

And I just loved how it balanced sibling strife and love + relationship angst and crushes + intense friendships to adore. I melt, I am soft butter. I am a fan.

[how thrillery was it?]
Admittedly, I've read darker thrillers. This was more character centric, but the stakes were high at the end, and I loved the characters so much that even their smallest pain amped up the tension. Also, like I said, the reveals at the end (the "whodunnit") was so tightly and intricately woven together. IMPRESSED. I didn't really guess any twists haha but my brain was elsewhere this week.

(view spoiler)

[honestly just read this book]
It was captivating, tricky, and intriguing, and just left my Slytherin heart smouldering with satisfaction. Maybe not the darkest thing, but such an enjoyable thriller with excellent characters and sobering reveals.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One of Us Is Next.

November 11, 2019 – Shelved