Bonnie's Reviews > Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien

I started reading this book to my nephew while I was on vacation, and it was a delightful surprise. I was hooked right away. I even had to sneak his copy in the car, desperately trying to finish the book before I got on the airplane (didn't quite make it and had to check it out from the library when I got home. The suspense was killing me!).

For the most part, I absolutely loved this book. The characters and world were vivid, the premise was unique, and Robert O'Brien has a beautiful way with words. This was exactly the sort of children's book I want to read to my kids someday. It's interesting and engaging for children as well as adults. It's clever in a way that isn't overbearing or academic. This is the kind of book that will teach you things without you even realizing it. And it provides plenty of learning opportunities for kids. In fact, I had just finished explaining to my nephew what pneumonia is (young mouse Timothy's illness is the inciting incident for the whole adventure) when his little brother came home from the doctor diagnosed with pneumonia!

Also interestingly, this book dealt with flashbacks very well. I've come to dislike flashbacks in recent years, but this one played out perfectly.

The only reason I'm giving four stars instead of five is because I was slightly disappointed by the ending. And I could very well be too harsh on that; I think the ending fits the era the book was written in. But my modern adventurous self wanted (view spoiler)

A thoroughly delightful book that I highly recommend, particularly to those with young children to read to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH.

Started Reading
August 28, 2019 – Finished Reading
November 11, 2019 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Willow Croft I have my "Secret of Nimh" lunchbox still! LOL