Martha☀'s Reviews > Things You Save in a Fire

Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center

bookshelves: audiobook, challenge-member

Center achieves a perfect balance of feel good and serious issues in this novel about a woman deep in the world of Men. Cassie is a stellar firefighter in Texas, part of a tight-knit crew who value her strength and abilities as well as include her in the daily pranks. She has found her niche in this nontraditional role and is a stand-out firefighter, especially when under pressure.
But then two nasty parts of her past rear their heads at the same time and both knock her perfect world off kilter. First, a former high-school crush/abuser presents her with a prestigious award of valor as well as a butt-squeeze so she proceeds to beat him up on stage in front of all of Austin's finest. Then her estranged mother calls and insists that she come live with her in Massachusetts for one year, due to the loss of vision in one eye. For a couple of reasons, Cassie ends up with no choice but to go to her mother and take a firefighting job on a crew who have never heard of a 'lady' firefighter before. Starting from scratch on both fronts, Cassie is forced to teach her crew to accept her and eventually value her and she has to learn the art of forgiveness and love from her mother. And, of course, there is a love interest.
Center addresses abandonment, sexual abuse, forgiveness, love, acceptance and many other tough subjects through this book yet she does so in a light, upbeat way that makes it enjoyable. Initially, I thought that the chick-lit style of writing would grate on me - and it did - but I came to see that this style worked to brighten some heavy topics. I couldn't stand the endless repetition of dialogue, almost as if a screenplay were the intended result, but I let Center off with that.
The novel was great but I felt that the Epilogue was a big disappointment. In those last pages, Center tied every issue up with a cute little bow, making Cassie shed her tough, masculine side (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Things You Save in a Fire.

November 11, 2019 – Shelved
November 11, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
November 11, 2019 – Shelved as: audiobook
November 11, 2019 – Shelved as: challenge-member
November 16, 2019 – Shelved as: next-in-line
November 25, 2019 – Started Reading
December 2, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Libby Wonderful review, Martha! I really enjoyed this one and enjoyed reliving it again from your perspective.

Martha☀ Thanks so much, Libby. I was inspired by your review to pick up the book in the first place!