Brenda's Reviews > Burning Lies

Burning Lies by Helene Young

bookshelves: net-galley, aussie-authors, 2012-release, own-read, arc
Read 2 times. Last read May 14, 2012 to May 20, 2012.

I finished Burning Lies back in May, and can finally put my review up! I absolutely loved it! The old ‘I could not put it down’ was so true for me...what a wonderful, gripping, suspenseful and riveting read!

Kaitlyn is now part of the Border Watch team, along with Lauren and Morgan, after moving to the Tablelands with her mother, Julia, and son Dan, to try to escape the horror of the past. The death of her father, Stephen and husband Chris, in the bushfires in Canberra, where it pointed to Chris being an arsonist, and him murdering his father-in-law were too much for them all to bear, and getting away seemed to be the only way to deal with their grief.

But five years later, the past threatened to catch up with them again. Kaitlyn was part of the Rural Fire service, with Speedy in charge of their group, and he was also the local school run bus driver. When a new man arrived on the scene and moved into old Jerry’s house at the end of Kaitlyn’s road, and also joined the Fire service, Kaitlyn wasn’t sure what to think of Ryan. The fact that he was reported to be on sick leave from Sydney, but didn’t seem to know a lot about being a firie, made her suspicious. The attraction was immediate, but she didn’t give trust easily. She was suspicious of everyone, and needed to check him out first, in more ways than one.

It seemed the arsonist was working in her area too, and it brought the horror to the surface again all too readily. Between being away for long stretches at a time with her job in Border Watch, and getting called out to the increasingly frequent number of fires in the area, she wasn’t spending as much time with Dan and Julia as she wanted. Her family was her life, but it seemed she had more problems to try to work through.

Would Kaitlyn find the arsonist before he killed again, would she ever get over the terrible loss of her father, and the grief of not knowing if her husband was really the Canberra arsonist? The more she found out, the more she needed to find out, and with Ryan seeming to not be who he said he was, her nerves were strung so tightly she couldn’t think straight.

Following on from Wings of Fear and Shattered Sky, Burning Lies is a brilliant novel from an Australian author right at the top of her game. The twists and turns of this story, the suspense and fear, along with a hint of romance make for a wonderful read, one I would highly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burning Lies.

April 1, 2012 – Shelved
April 21, 2012 – Shelved as: net-galley
May 12, 2012 – Shelved as: aussie-authors
May 13, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012-release
May 14, 2012 – Started Reading
May 14, 2012 – Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
May 19, 2012 –
50.0% "Am absolutely loving my ARC copy of Helene's new book!"
May 20, 2012 –
100.0% "Am absolutely loving my ARC copy of Helene's new book!"
May 20, 2012 – Shelved as: own-read
May 20, 2012 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
May 20, 2012 – Finished Reading
July 26, 2012 – Shelved as: arc
August 16, 2012 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
August 16, 2012 – Shelved as: 2012-release (Paperback Edition)
August 16, 2012 – Shelved as: aussie-authors (Paperback Edition)
August 16, 2012 – Shelved as: gift-from-author (Paperback Edition)
August 16, 2012 – Shelved as: autographed-book (Paperback Edition)
May 11, 2014 – Shelved as: favourites (Paperback Edition)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Helene (new) - added it

Helene Young Brenda, thank you for your lovely review and 5 stars!! I'm so glad you enjoyed this story as much as the others :)

Cheers
Helene

Brenda You're most welcome Helene! It was wonderful:)

message 3: by MarciaB (new) - added it

MarciaB - Book Muster Down Under Far out Brenda, I just read the blurb for Burning Lies and I am so excited. I haven't quite finished Shattered Sky yet, but I now know that one of the...more Far out Brenda, I just read the blurb for Burning Lies and I am so excited. I haven't quite finished Shattered Sky yet, but I now know that one of the characters is not who he seems to be. :)
I'm really hoping that Helene carries on with this series, continuing to link her characters.

Brenda Marcia, I just saw this post.....hadn't received any notification of it!!! Grr! Have you read it yet?....you must re-read your post too...your computer seems to have added some words for you;P