Joshua Whiting's Reviews > A Wolf Called Wander

A Wolf Called Wander by Rosanne Parry

The pack belongs to the mountains. The mountains belong to the pack. And the wolf star shines on us all.

Swift is not the largest or strongest pup in his pack, but he loves his home in the mountains and he wants to grow to lead, provide for, and protect the pack just like his mother and father do. When stranger wolves invade their territory, Swift finds himself alone and blocked from his mountain home forever. He wanders far, encountering dangers from men and challenges on the prairie and desert. Will he ever find a mountain home among other wolves again?

This is a dramatic, realistic, and action-packed animal adventure story inspired by the true experience of OR-7, a radio-collared wolf that mysteriously traveled over 1,000 miles across Oregon and Northern California to establish a new wolf pack. The back matter features engaging photos, maps, and other information about OR-7 as well as about wild wolves generally and their habitats in the Pacific Northwest. The frequent illustrations add to mood and experience of reading the book.

I highly recommend this book for young readers who like animals, adventure and survival stories, and even lyrical/poetic writing about nature and the wilderness. Swift’s keen observation and love of the mountains made me want to get out and explore nature myself, and after reading the book I’ve found myself even paying more attention to the animals and plants around my home and in the city.

First published on Granite Media, 11/21/2019. URL: https://www.granitemedia.org/2019/11/...
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wolf Called Wander.

November 7, 2019 – Started Reading
November 11, 2019 – Shelved
November 17, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Joshua Whiting Started reading this to my kids the other night. So far we are liking it.