Cheri's Reviews > The Eighth Sister

The Eighth Sister by Robert Dugoni

1994963

bookshelves: 2019-reads, audio, mystery-thriller, spies

I'm going 3.5 on this but rounding up because I enjoyed it more than a 3 and Goodreads doesn't allow for 1/2 stars...

There was a lot I liked about this book. The main character is a former CIA agent - a 64 year old Black man (which made me very happy because there aren't enough non-white protagonists in mainstream thrillers written by white people) - who is reactivated to help save some agents who don't know they're being targeted. The Seven Sisters.

As one would expect from a book in this genre, everything is not what it seems and there's lots of killing and hiding and backstabbing. That was pretty fun. Then it slows down and we get to go through a sort of drug out courtroom thing.

That's when the head scratching and eye rolling started in earnest. Seriously, I had figured out a big part of the mystery but while the rationale and methods behind it were revealed, I felt lost much of the time. There was SO MUCH going on and some of it was so convoluted that I wanted to throw up my hands and be done.

I'm no stranger to Mr. Dugoni's books and know that there's a good chance I'll get frustrated at some point while reading but I still keep coming back. I suppose it's because his characters are interesting and I like his writing voice. So far I've ready the Tracy Crosswhite series (which reminds me that I still have the latest book in the series to read) and The 7th Canon. This guy's been around a long time and has written loads of books.

Even thought this is the first in a series, I recognize the name David Sloan from another series that I haven't read so I'm betting anyone who's read those will be surrounded by old friends. They seem like nice and interesting people so I might visit them, too. I can't seem to quit Dugoni.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eighth Sister.

November 11, 2019 – Started Reading