Annalie's Reviews > Diary of a Bad Year

Diary of a Bad Year by J.M. Coetzee

liked it
bookshelves: saauthor, xx2013-challenge

Some of the "Opinions" are very interesting points of view and really makes you think about various current issues. I do think J M Coetzee should stay away from maths and science as topics, where his ignorance made me cringe a bit.
The fiction part of this uniquely constructed novel is similar to his other novels; the character who seems to be more or less based on himself sums it up perfectly:
"As a young man, I never for a moment allowed myself to doubt that only from a self disengaged from the mass and critical of the mass could true art emerge. Whatever art has come from my hand has in one way or another expressed and even gloried in this disengagement. But what sort of art has that been, in the end? Art that is not great-souled, as the Russians would say, that lacks generosity, fails to celebrate life, lacks love."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diary of a Bad Year.

March 31, 2012 – Shelved
March 31, 2012 – Shelved as: saauthor
March 26, 2013 – Shelved as: xx2013-challenge
October 3, 2013 – Started Reading
October 11, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Margitte (new)

Margitte J.M.Coetzee lost me with is previous book - "Disgrace". I just could not connect with him or his characters since then. I won't indulge in this one either.

message 2: by Annalie (last edited Oct 15, 2013 06:28PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Annalie I do agree with you about "Disgrace", Margitte! I doubt whether I'll read any more of his books, even though I have 2 unread on my bookshelves.