R.M. Brand's Reviews > The Angel's Game

Mar 31, 2012

bookshelves: my-favorites, top-fiction
Recommended to R.M. by: Rosa Jones
Read from March 31 to April 09, 2012 — I own a copy

Zafon paints a world out of a gothic noir-like tale filled with tragedy and romance. During the course of the story, the protagonist, David, invites trouble with his wry pith and wit, leads the reader through a labyrinth of mysteries that keeps one guessing, and manages to injure those closest to him with a single, biting remark. Yet there are moments of lucidity where he demonstrates a deep compassion and love that makes him an endearing hero. In all, it was a wonderful story, steeped in mysticism.

Yes, I definitely enjoyed the book. However, I confess that I enjoyed Shadow of the Wind even more.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Angel's Game.

04/01/2012 page 32
04/01/2012 page 53
10.0% ""I fell into one of the armchairs, one of those pieces of furniture designed to cradle the backsides of princes and generalissimos with a predilection for coups d'etat.""
04/02/2012 page 81
15.0% ""It seems that in the advance stages of stupidity, a lack of ideas is compensated for by an excess of ideologies.""
04/05/2012 page 197
37.0% "The faint glow from the corridor cast only a vaporous thread of light through the hole into the space beyond, and all I could perceive was a murky gloom."
04/06/2012 page 235
44.0% ""Justice is a rare illness in a world that is otherwise a picture of health.""
04/07/2012 page 295
56.0% ""On the other side of the park a forest of factories and gas towers multiplied toward the horizon, the soot from the chimneys diluted in the black rain that plummeted from the sky like tears of tar." Zafon, Carlos Ruiz (2009-06-13). The Angel's Game (Kindle Locations 5067-5068). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition."
04/07/2012 page 332
63.0% ""did I say?” she asked, projecting a shower of biscuit crumbs." Zafon, Carlos Ruiz (2009-06-13). The Angel's Game (Kindle Location 5809). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition."
show 2 hidden updates…