Kathleen Pooler's Reviews > Singing Out Loud: A Memoir of an Ex-Mardi Gras Queen

Singing Out Loud by Marilee Eaves

Mardi Gras and Fat Tuesday are synonymous with New Orleans and until I read Marilea Eaves’ memoir, Singing Out Loud, they were mere events on the calendar that marked the onset of Lent. The author has skillfully and eloquently provided a first-hand account of an elaborate, pressured life underneath the surface of the New Orleans Mardi Gras community. As a longstanding tradition within her family, Mardi Gras represented her family’s strong commitment to New Orleans’ high society dating back to her grandfather. As a young woman she was expected to uphold this family tradition, to sacrifice her own true self for this greater cause. She shows how she was swept up in the glitz and glamour of ornate balls, jeweled crowns and cumbersome ball gowns at the expense of herself. She takes us on a rollercoaster ride of addiction, failed marriages, and psychotic breaks in vivid detail. Underlying these challenges is a raging river of lifelong discord with her mother’s unrealistic expectations, which she simultaneously rebels against while caving into them. This is a coming-of-age story of s young woman who breaks away to find herself then circles back to reconnect—in her words —to her healthy self so she can enjoy the parts of the New Orleans experience she has always held dear. She writes with passion ,humor and a raw honesty that kept me turning the pages. I will never see Mardi Gras in the same way again! An engaging and provocative read.

Sent from my iPhone
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Singing Out Loud.

Finished Reading