Angela Sasser's Reviews > Starless

1950123

liked it
Recommended for: Adventure Fantasy Lovers, LGBT Readers
Read 2 times

As a fan of Carey’s fantastically crafted world and stories in Kushiel’s Legacy, I was hyped to see her explore another world, especially one with a more middle eastern-inspired perspective. As always, Carey’s world-building is top notch with a fascinating exploration of different climes, cultures, and even nonhuman races with differing philosophies and ideas of gender. It’s some of the most unique world-building I’ve come across in fantasy and I’m grateful for it!

I also enjoyed my time getting to know Khai, the main POV character, the most and felt my peek immersion in the first 3rd of this story as Khai prepared for his grand destiny as the princess’ shadow.
However, once the world opens up and we start to meet more characters, I felt like the pacing of this book slowed down and yet somehow felt rushed at the same time.

We spend a long time establishing what great prophesied quest awaits Khai and his Sun-blessed princess, Zariya, and the companions they are fated to meet, but less time really getting to know these companions. I felt myself wanting the chance to get to know them better before the book moved along at a brisk pace to wrap up the larger plot.

Still, what is there is entertaining enough for a one-book adventure tale and worth it for the awe-inspiring world filled with strangely beautiful sights. I wouldn’t mind diving into this world again sometime if Carey ever wanted to return to it and give the characters a little more room to breathe and endear themselves to the reader.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Starless.

Finished Reading
January 29, 2018 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
January 29, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
June 17, 2018 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
October 24, 2019 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
November 10, 2019 – Shelved