Charity's Reviews > The Other Americans

The Other Americans by Laila Lalami

it was ok

Uncle. Between the shifting perspectives of identical-sounding cliches and stereotypes, name-dropping of places in the region (how many times do we have to hear that someone's gone to Stater Brothers? Does no one shop at the Vons or the Grocery Outlet?), inaccuracies about the desert (e.g., turtle doves do not live in North America and Santa Anas happen in fall), and cringeingly trite language and cliched sex scenes (ugh!), I just can't finish this one. Kudos for tackling a tough issue, but the writing is just too tedious.

There are a couple of very good, detailed critical reviews here on Goodreads, so I'll direct you to those rather than go through the trouble of writing one myself.

Two stars rather than one because my dinnertime rant about this book amused my family so much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Americans.

November 9, 2019 – Started Reading
November 9, 2019 – Shelved
November 17, 2019 –
41.0% "I'm getting irritated about some inaccuracies with the setting. One, turtle dove is two words and the doves that live in Southern California are mourning doves (turtle doves don't live in North America). Two, it's spring but there are Santa Ana winds, which happen in autumn. A main character raised in the desert should know better...unless Lalami's point is that she's an outsider even though she grew up there?"
November 18, 2019 – Finished Reading