Calliope's Reviews > Look Both Ways

U 50x66
Mar 31, 2012

it was ok
Read in March, 2012

I'll give this book one thing: I would have liked it at 13. I would have loved the cover, loved the boyz, loved the "gothic" and "supernatural" overtones. I liked the basic premise. The twins thing had been done to death but its still fun to read about. I was kinda getting into it when it suddenly became so grating. The twins for one thing are super irritating. They have no depth, do the dumbest things and I constantly got them confused. (I think the author did too)They also have way too many freedoms for 14 year old with loving and involved parents. (Sneak into the woods,climb on cliffs, go to crazy parties, make out with guys, blah blah blah.) Speaking of boys, they had all these handsome, wayy older guys into them. (Well, into Mallory at least, probably because Merry is a complete ditz) I'm sorry, but 16/17 year old guys to not fall in love with tiny 14 year old girls. Even though the author tries to make it feel like they're in so much danger and that the "sight" weighs so heavily on them, you never actually get that feeling.

Still, I get that its written for younger girls, girls that like all that bubblegum supernatural stuff. The author actually seems to be able to write a half way decent story depsite her awful characters, so i might give some of her adult fiction a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Look Both Ways.