D.H. Schleicher's Reviews > The Dead Go to Seattle

The Dead Go to Seattle by Vivian Faith Prescott

I came across Vivian Faith Prescott’s anthology at a publisher’s warehouse sale, drawn to it based on the cover and title and knowing nothing about it. An old rusty ship stranded on land against a moody gray sky stared at me. An evocative and mysterious title, The Dead Go to Seattle, piqued my curiosity. It was serendipity.

The stories here are a written recording of the rich oral tradition of the native inhabitants of a small Alaskan village. Colonialism, magic realism, gritty realism, family strife…aliens and spirits and religious cults and killer whales and wayward youth. It’s a circuitous parade of wandering, rambling tall tales and bits of hardscrabble melodrama. Characters come and go from the stories, loosely linking them, family histories slowly revealed. Sometimes it seems like it’s all going to fall apart, until it comes back full circle again. Stories about stories about people telling stories.

As much as I love the cover and what I discovered in the pages, it’s not the type of book you let sit on your shelf. It’s the type you walk down to the Little Free Library at the end of your street, placing it cover forward, hoping that a neighbor you don’t know is drawn to it and discovers it for themselves. And they’ll pass it on, too. And maybe one day when you are old and gray, it will find its way back to you.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dead Go to Seattle.

November 9, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read