Sarah's Reviews > MURDEROUS SECRETS

MURDEROUS SECRETS by Janice Frost

bookshelves: 2019-reading-challenge

Murderous Secret. And yes there certainly are! I think that the title for this book couldn't be more apt and I love the cover! It has an eerie look about it and although I read the ebook, this cover is typical of one which would catch my eye and make me want to pick it up and read it.
Northfields Farm, not far from Summerthorpe village, is holding a 1940's themed dance, organised by a local charity to help raise some money for a local hospice. What could possibly go wrong?!
From the outset, this well thought out storyline had me gripped and we don't have to wait long for any action.
DS Ava Merry and DC PollyJane aka PJ, were (fortunately) supporting the charity and hoping for an enjoyable evening when their evening was scuppered following the discovery of a body ...then the victims mount up ...
I felt excited as I read - the amount of suspects were also building up - but what were the motives for the killings and were they connected? Was it the work of the same killer or were there more?and why were there so many secrets? I honestly had no idea! The owners of Northfields Farm, Aubrey and Bea Stratford, along with their grown up children: Monty and Blue, had moved from Brighton to set up a new life for themselves on the farm, from which they ran a 'glampsite' and made their own beer. I loved Aubrey, he was a humorous character and although a little eccentric he seemed harmless enough and enjoyed nothing more than 1940's memorabilia and 'tinkering' in one of his garages on one of his many projects with his old pal Charles who lived close by and also shared Aubrey's passion of WW2 memorabilia. I think that the author has created the characters to be very believable but are they who they say they are? I love, love, loved Soren Hunter, and wanted to find out more of his background. I was also looking forward to seeing who would cop it next as I was hoping to find some clue, but no, it really is so cleverly written. I liked that we don't hear the killer/s point of view and that had me guessing even harder! Although I felt excited and couldn't wait for all the pieces to slot into place and solve the 'puzzle' so to speak, I also felt a sadness as I knew that some of the characters hadn't had it easy in their lives and two characters inparticular, oh how I wish that they'd cop it 😂 This is the 6th book in the Merry/Neal series - my first and definitely not my last - but I would recommend that they be read in order. A very enjoyable read that I highly recommend! Thank you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read MURDEROUS SECRETS.

November 9, 2019 – Shelved